Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A Star from Mosul

Aunt Najma describes herself thus:


Name: Aunt Najma
Location: Mosul, Iraq

"I was born in Baghdad in 1988, April, 23rd but I'm originally from Mosul*. still a student in the magnet-school, dreaming of the university... I started to write a blog to fill my time, and it really worked. I can't find anything else to talk about but praising myself, so I'll stop instead."


* Links to Encyclopaedia of the Orient entry on Mosul added by me.

Here's a sample of her writing:


"It's been a busy week, on Monday, I had a Grammar competition with Al-Zohoor secondary school for girls, although our students are superior than them, but they had that one very good girl who was answering all the questions, I know her 'cause she was with me in the Arabic private lessons. There was a cameraman and they videotaped the whole thing for Al-Iraqia Nineva TV.. I was supposed to see it on TV today, but we didn't have electricity!!

Anyway, we didn't win, we were even.."



This second sample is from the same posting:
"Oil prices are going UP fast, Gasoline raised from 50 dinnars to 1000, multiplied by 20 times! Dad is now paying more than half of his salary on fuelling the cars.. Students at the universities are on strike now because they can not affrod paying for the gasoline. And because we have no good public transportation (I've never been in a public bus, it's complete chaos, too dangerous for a girl), it is quite reasonable the students are not going to the university.

On another note, after the demonstrations I mentioned in my last post, the head of the Iraqi Youth and Students Union got kidnapped with his friend and was found dead after two days."
You can go read her here - spend a few hours you'll be glad you did.