Wednesday, February 01, 2006

An Intervention for Good

On January 15th I described the plight of Iraqi widows here and asked my readers to contribute what they could to the Allan Enwiyah's widow. Allan was working as the translator to the kidnapped American reporter Jill Carroll. Her ordeal continues and our attention remains focussed upon her - that is as it should be. But I asked you not to forget another young woman whose nightmare also began that dreadful day - Allan Enwiyah's wife. Allan was murdered by Jill Carroll's kidnappers leaving behind a wife and two small children. As I said back then:

"Allan Enwiyah's widow is now living what must surely have been her worst nightmare, is facing dire poverty, and must cope not only with her grief but with comforting her children and trying to provide for them."
I asked that you go to Fayrouz's site and give what you could to ease her plight. Fayrouz has been listing the donations as they come in and I've been updating my original posting tracking the donations here is the amount raised as of February 1st 2006.
  • Total Gross Amount: $6,683.75

  • Total PayPal Fees: -$218.04

  • Total Net Amount: $6,465.71

  • Total Wired Amount: $0.00

  • Total Wire Fees: $0.00

  • Total Remaining Amount: $6,465.71
I know that some of my readers here gave generously and encouraged others to do so. Thank you, I'm very grateful. It is good to know that in the hellish bloodsoaked mess created by western governments in Iraq that one family have had their plight somewhat lessened by ordinary people reaching out in sympathy.

Mark

Update February 3rd 2006: $6,764.91 - wouldn't it be wonderful if it went over us$7000, I'm starting to hope that it just might.

Update February 6th 2006: $6,855.54