Thursday, April 20, 2006

Three Crying Children and a Brave Old Lady


These three children were photographed today Thursday at the funeral of a man who was found shot dead yesterday night in Baghdad. As you can see somebody is trying to comfort them. Click the graphic if you wish to see the full size photo. Do they look comforted to you? They do not look very comforted to me.

This old lady's name is Betty Brassell. Look at her. She needs a walking frame and the court officer is helping her into the court building.

She is one of 18 grandmothers who blocked access to the U.S. military recruiting station in Times Square and was arrested for it. I am a soldier's daughter, one of my grandparents was put into German concentration camp for being in the resistance, the man I am going to marry is a bomb disposal officer in the army. I will return to my commission when I graduate in a few weeks. Call me a pacificist and I will kick your fucking teeth in. As far as I am concerned this old lady is a hero. As far as I am concerned those badges she is wearing are worth more than any heap of medals. I salute her.

What are you doing to stop Dick Cheney's evil war?