Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Klannish Kartoon Kapers (Oh Fuck Part 2)

How am I feeling? Let me list a few of the the emotions I'm feeling:
  • Anxiety about Du who has been plunged into a maelstrom.
  • Fury at the way in which a newspaper with a disgraceful record of fanning ethnic flames has behaved.
  • Contempt at the way in which a newspaper with a disgraceful record of fanning ethnic flames is now squealing about how they are the victims.
  • Fury at the way in which those, on all sides, whose duty it is to lead chose instead to fan the flames.
  • Contemptuous disgust at the way in which commentators and sites left and right alike (on the other side of the Atlantic in particular) have used this episode for naked bigotry and the furthering of their own partisan agendas.
  • That they have displayed their complete ignorance of both Islam and of Denmark in the course of their so doing thereby rendering their opinions meaningless is scant consolation.
  • Despair that a lifetime spent combatting bigotry should show so little fruit.
It will doubtless have occurred to the more discerning of my readers by now that I am in neither the sweetest nor the best of tempers. For that reason I have so far refrained from publishing much about this lamentable and disgraceful affair. For the moment I'm going to let the shrewd and witty Majoob speak for me. As, presumably, most of my readers don't read Arabic I have added numbers to the panels and provided a translation below the graphic.
Majoob's take on the Jylland Posten's motives
  1. This is RACISM.
  2. This is ANTISEMITIC
  3. PROPHET MOHAMMED CARTOONS
  4. And this is FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION

Polite Notice :-)
I invite your comments as always, I emphasise however that this is my site, it is an electronic extension of my physical home, and as such my standards of behaviour are the standards that apply. If you choose to abuse this part of my home by making bigotted, offensive, churlish, or racist remarks, irrespective of to whom they are directed, I will treat you as I would an ill-trained dog and rub your nose in your own filth by re-writing your comment as I see fit.

Update No:1 by Erdla: I am linking to an article by Juan Cole pointed out by Grania. American readers should read it. They should particularly need to read the comments the articly is The Politics of Race and Religion in Denmark. I know that Mháircaish has much to say on this topic and as he is "nydansk" himself I will leave it to him. English speakers need to realise something very important the current government is made up of a conservative party (Konservativ) and a hard right wing party (Venstre,) they depend for power on the support of an extreme right parti (Danske Folkeparti.) The names are often translated in a way that misleads English speeking people.

Venstre is often translated either as "left" or as "liberal" both of these give the wrong meaning to anglophones. "Left" is completely wrong and "liberal" means in the 19th century German use of the word.

"Danske Folkeparti" means the "Danish Peoples Party" - they are extreme right wing think BNP if you are English. Think very slight to left David Duke if you American.